Wednesday, May 10, 2017

April 2017 York TCA Show Part 1 - Scale Models

Usually I don't just post a photo essay of things, but with the York TCA Show, IMHO, continuing to wind down from its former glory, I figured I'd just post a ton of photos I took at the show last month.

For those of you in the scale world, this is a 3-Rail paradise.  Has everything from new to old. I came from 3R, so while I am much pickier now than I used to be, I can still appreciate what this show has to offer.  It's a good weekend to spend with my dad as well. And to get in some funnel cake.

I have decided to break up the photos into two posts...one more scale-oriented (like I would traditionally do), and the other, a posting of layouts.

Koh's Table in the Orange Hall...wow that's a lot of paint variations for that hack...










TW Trainworx

They make some amazing buildings.  Extremely pricey, but I suppose if they actually made something I could use, I would buy it.  Museum quality, precise-fit stuff. Great staff.

The overpasses are extremely nice, but I could not find a price.  Probably at least $70/section as a kit...perhaps a little too steep for me, especially for something I think I can do more easily myself.














Lionel Booth:

For the S-scale guys...

A ton of new tooling on these shelves, including the broadway limited:






For the SOU fan...SD40's...Lionel is probably doing these better than AtlasO, but only AtlasO does them with fixed pilots, so I will stick with the AtlasO, whenever they make it to America.











Brand new engine, The NW2.  Definitely looks worth 2-railing once they do these in Southern paint.  The motor is in the fuel tank, so they can fit electronics and a smoke unit in the hood...will be interesting to see the performance.














New tooling. The modern....65'? Gon they're doing. 





 Unfortunately, cast-in brake rigging...









I think this is part of the UP Excursion set...and this is how they start their domes...they will paint the clear plastic to match the shell.



Top car is part of the broadway limited...pretty jealous that everyone is getting new tooling while Southern was only made with NYC ESE tooling.


Better looking ride height.




 So Lionel is hyping up that they're doing Brass and Diecast "hybrid locomotives"  I don't know why they just don't do the whole thing in brass, but whatever.  This is a Santa Fe Mikado I believe.

You can order it direct from Lionel if you want, which is interesting that they're skipping their dealers for this one.  Maybe the costs are too high?  In any case, this has raised some eyebrows.

3R guys are used to getting their steam in all-diecast boilers, but that is cost-prohibitive on unique models with lower quantities.  Looked alright to me.  Hopefully a guy on the OGR Forum that noted that Brass and Die-cast have issues being together (one corrodes the other?) has brought enough attention to Lionel to address that chemistry problem.






AtlasO Santa Fe F7's...what they should have looked like when they came from China...and yes there is plastic over the stainless portion to protect it...






Rare to see SCL cars from AtlasO...too bad the car is a Trainman car.  The ladders and running boards are atrocious. No thanks.



 And WBB is releasing the end-cab 70 tonner in 4 roads (CN, Tropicana, Rutland, and SP). Yes Tropicana really had one and it was similar to Phase1.  All artwork showed Phase 2 tooling...but they haven't even started the tooling yet.  I provided them info on the two general phases of the carbodies, so I'm hoping it isn't cost prohibitive to do both.  Half of their offered road schemes were Phase 1, so I am hoping it is enough to convince them.  Though as Larry Harrington said to me...the bulk of their market doesn't really care, so they will probably just do whatever is economical to them. Let's hope its economical to do both. This will make it easy for those who don't own a Rich Yoder Model to get one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment