Sunday, December 3, 2023

O-Scale EMD 645E3 3D-printed Models

I received these really nice O-Scale EMD 20-645E3 and 16-645E3 3D-printed models from Railroad LC3DP back in May 2021.  A little late in posting this, but better late than never. Came packed better than most everything I've purchased in the last decade. I highly recommend if you're in the market.

 
Shipping took a little over a month to finally reach my doorstep from Czech Republic, but these are really nice. As I expect with most 3D prints, they will need a little bit of cleanup, but will work just fine in the Pegram Shops. For the late 60's Southern Railway, the 16 cylinder's were used on SD40-2's and the 20 cylinder units were used on SD45's.
 
I just need to figure out what colors I need to paint these with. The more I think about it, these are too new for my era to be rusted up and sitting outside, and I doubt they had complete engine blocks sitting around waiting to be put into locomotives (vs. just replacing part in and around them the engine block), but it should still look really cool and add interest anyway.
 
He has done some other prime movers, such as the Alco 539 and 251, but not yet a 567. I really hope he finds the time and motivation to do the 567 as well as he did the 645. He says he hopes to finish the 567 in 2024.
 
Here are some photos from when they first arrived, with nothing done to them:
 
 
 
20-645E3 and 16-645E3
 



 
Lube Oil and Water Pumps
 
 3/4 View with Turbo on the left

 
Turbocharger and Flywheel

 
I attempted to sand flat surfaces where it made sense and then paint these as new for use with an eventual engine shop.  I will warn you though that you need to read labels.  I ended up painting these with Model Master High Gloss and low and behold, that particular paint leaves a yellow tint.  The directions even warn of it.  Lesson learned.  Luckily these will be used as scenery and not in locomotive model.
 
You can see the difference where the glossed primer mover is on the right. 

This gloss will turn your models yellow.

Prepped prime movers - yellowish on right

Prepped prime movers - yellowish on right



1 comment: