Sunday, February 3, 2019

Project/Reference Material Cleanup and the Lionel 2019/2018/2017 Catalog Thoughts

Instead of doing some fun stuff like writing real blog posts or getting back to some artwork projects, I just spent most of today sorting all of my train related projects and reference material across two computers and two iOS devices in order to make sure I had one true and up to date copy of everything I need for documentation with my progress and future needs in the hobby.  Been a long time in the making, but its finally done.

I have about 110 GB of files.  I guess I should go get me a 128 or 256GB flash drive and try to keep that as my main archive and a backup on something else.  Another option that would be far more costly is to get a dropbox account and keep everything tied together on there.

The Lionel 2019 catalog came out make 2 weeks ago. I don't usually discuss catalogs, but this is my take (and a reminder to myself for later) on what I am looking at potentially getting at some point from the most recent Lionel catalogs.  I rarely preorder as I've seen too many disappointments recently from Lionel and MTH, especially with the Lionel quality.  From the sidelines, I hope they figure out how to turn that around as its hurting the hobby (or at least O gauge/O Scale) for any newcomers that come in and all they know is the Lionel name.

Below are a few images of what I saw that might fit my roster...

 Maybe both SOU and 1 N&W.

 Need to check my books if this is prototypical.  My hunch is no.

I thought this FEC car matched a Southern ACF or PS 52-seat coach prototype, but looking at photos, its not quite right.  Looking at the real modern-day St. Augustine, I see they messed up the skirting and are missing significant and important roof detail as well.  I had hope in Lionel doing 21" scale passenger cars accurately, but I don't know anymore...

Looks good enough for me since its based on a 1966 Jim Sands photo. If this just works on AC power and doesn't require TMCC/Legacy, I can convert this to 2R and it comes with some nice "soundcar-like" sounds already built in.

I'm thinking this SAL car is not prototypical, but I'll look into it.

 So they finally did these.  I had these in the works on my workbench.  The RPO car is pretty close to the real thing. I have to check, but may need to update the doors and double check if they used the right font.  The green looks way too dark too, but it'll be interesting what they actually deliver.  The Baggage would be an okay stand-in, but is definitely wrong.

This one dates way back to 2017.  I've seen them in the wild at $78, which is a lot considering I don't want the flatcar.  I just want the trailer.  We'll see if I get one way down the line or they offer the trailers by themselves in a later catalog.

No comments:

Post a Comment