Monday, February 18, 2019

Creation and Installation of Main Power/Program Track Control Board

I wanted to create a box that would allow me to control a portion of track on my layout that would allow to easily switch the track from mainline power to the programming track.  And then it would let me decider further if I wanted to use a Lokprogrammer or Decoder Pro.  One would note that I used to use QSI Titan decoders, but I have since moved to Loksound for full sound decoders.  They are still innovating and their product can be found everywhere.  Quite the opposite of QSI, despite QSI having some really neat features.

First I designed the controls inside the box.  I also wanted LED's to be on tell me when certain features were on.  Very few components were needed...some resistors, LEDs, and a rectifier in the case where one of the power sources is straight AC. Essentially there are two DPDT switches. The leftside selects between powering the track with DCC or powering the track with whatever programming choice I have made on the right side (assuming those are powered on.)



I used a project box from Digikey.  There weren't many options and it was one the biggest ones I could find that was deep enough to hold the electronics, but also sit vertical attached to the layout rather than into the aisle. I didn't get a photo of the electronics installed on the inside...oh well. There wasn't much to see except for wires connecting the terminals to various small components.

Now for construction photos of the box itself. 

First up, the front side.  The face has the inset on it.  The dimensions were on the digikey website which made it easy.  I used that to draw up a rectangle and correctly place the lettering and circles for the LED's, so I can drill those out.  I printed two copies.  One was the template to allow me to drill out the LED's.  The second was laminated and then glued to the box. I was able to put the LED holders and switches in easily after that, which cover up any imperfect edges.





Second is the backside.  I bought a cheap 10-terminal plate and unscrewed the terminals off the plate.  I used the plate as a template and drilled out the box to allow the terminals to go through the box. I had issues lining up the plate after I put the terminals back in, so I ended up just cutting out a rectangle for the upper row. The screws hold it in place anyway.






You will notice another terminal to the right of the plate.  That is for the Lokprogrammer Power input from the power supply it has. I modified the wire to take the proper the connection.  All other wires were connected to Banana Plugs I got off eBay. The front and back of the project box are screwed together.







As for mounting this on the layout fascia.  If you don't have a multi-max tool, you must get one.  It shakes the hell out of your hand, but it makes the best precision cuts.  The project box is held on by two rows of 1" velcro.





No comments:

Post a Comment