Monday, September 23, 2013

My Thoughts on Weaver's MILW Ribside Cars

I picked up one of these cars.  Overall if you don't have the time to build any of the Rails Unlimited kits, then this car isn't bad if you need these.  Compared to the H30s and the Wagontop cars, which were done in China (This car was made in the US I believe), the detail on this car is not as fine as those.  The only details off the top of my head without looking into my RPCyc book is that the grab irons don't appear to be the correct AAR style and that the longitudinal running board support appears incorrect.  Below is a photo essay of the car.  Its up to you to decide if you want it.  I'll stick with my 4 completed RU kits.




Ladder rungs are a bit thick.


No piping between brake line components.


Wrong style grabs.


Great door.


Thick and non-scale roofwalk supports.



Molded-in grabs on ends.


Brake wheel area looks legit.

2 comments:

  1. First, I am commenting under "Anonymous" as none of the other selections apply (see below for more*). I have one of these cars ; mine is the "ROUTE OF THE ELECTRFIED OLYMPIAN" version and am reasonably satisfied with it. My real complaint is with the poor trucks. Weaver should have stayed with the original fully equalized design; they will track over most anything. One other truck complaint deals with the wheels: If I want chrome, shiny wheels, I'll buy a '66 Hemi Charger. If the manufacturers are plating/coating them, why not use a rusty brown color? Some brass imports are even worse! Lastly, not to mention that the trucks should not be painted at all. Back to the MILW car, I bought it because I wanted one (I was unaware of the kit that you mentioned; in fact, this is the first that I have heard about it.) and the price through Moose Caboose was decent. Please note that the cost of the kit and the time (another cost) to assemble it far outweighs any possible benefit to me. I wish that you had posted side-by-side the same views of the Weaver and the kit-built car. *As to who I am, my name is also Dave and I post on several fora as "J. S. Bach" and can be reached through the "PM" method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous is fine...Google just tries to allow users to sign in with one of their various social networking accounts.

      I am fine with the shiny wheels, but then again I paint and weather the ones on the cars I keep since they'd get dirty through use any way. I suppose its to help keep the treads shiny.

      If I find some time, I'll pull out one of my Rails Unlimited kits and photograph it to compare, but yes, in general, kits cost more in both time and money. And depending on how they're done, some can be done better than existing RTR cars or and some might not be.

      Delete