Sunday, February 14, 2010

NEW MILW Ribside REBUILT Boxcar Casting

So I was chosen to build the display car for Rails Unlimited's new ribside boxcar they have coming out in March.  It was definitely an honor to be the first to build this casting into a model and for it to be used as a display to help sell the casting to others.

I feel its a pretty good job, but definitely not my best.  I hope Ted allows me to build more in the future for him.

The new car being "released" at the Chicago O Scale Meet. If you cannot make it, please contact Ted Schnepf. His other castings (not only MILW) and contact information are here:

http://railsunlimited.ribbonrail.com/index.html

He has everything you need to complete this car and others! He used to work for the MILW railroad as well. He is considered an expert for sure! Great guy too.




Ribside boxcars were rebuilt during the 1960s. Some more-so than others. Here is an example of one such car that had steel plates welded to patch the worn out sides. This car also furnishes the unique MILW underbody arrangement of the triple valve, AB Reservoir, and Brake Cylinder.

Prototype:



The Model:


 

 

 

 


AS ALWAYS, the photos are click-able to see larger hi-res quality.


MORE Photos:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albu...%20Rebuilt%20Boxcar/


If you are making this meet, you can check out my work on this car in person. Please excuse the decal job as its not my best and I tried a new technique that led to not perfect results. Oh and ignore the chipped paint on the underbody, I didn't fix it before photos, but my screwdriver hit the brass wire while slipping from the screw to keep the truck on. Trying to be a perfectionist is so hard. Frown

No comments:

Post a Comment