Tuesday, May 8, 2012

CN and NKP finished kits

I had the pleasure of building 2 kits for a friend of mine.  Sad to say, I hope they are the last 2 I ever build for anyone outside selling anything from my personal collection.  It just takes too long too build kits at a higher quality level.  I do want to say that the Sylvan car did have an older set of decals that were falling apart in the water and were scratched off.  Sylvan amazingly replaced these at no cost to me and it was appreciated.

The two kits are the following:
-Sylvan Models CNR 1929 Boxcar
-Chooch NKP War Emergency Boxcar

The Sylvan is a two-piece body kit and comes with everything but trucks and couplers.  The ladders are a bit crude, so I opted to use a modified plastic set sold by Des Plaines Hobbies.  The CNR decals appeared to be missing a lot of little extras that I saw on some photos of cars in the 50s.

The NKP kit was a flat kit and needed its entire body squared up and put together.  It did not come with trucks, couplers, decals, or a roofwalk. I ended up getting one of the last sets of decals from Nickel Plate Models (Dave Vaughn), but he said he could get more printed if needed.  The etched apex roofwalk I used was also from Des Plaines Hobbies.  This makes for a superior model in the end. 

The cars are fitted with Weaver trucks (with some washers in between the bolster pieces due to clearances needed from the flanges and bottom of the car.  The cars still meet kadee heights)
The CNR car got boxcar red.  The NKP car got mineral red and black.  The trucks were painted for NKP car per the photo I saw and the only weathering any car got was with the oily black on the inside of the wheels of the NKP trucks.

Can't think of much else to say, so here are some photos of the end results:







No comments:

Post a Comment