Thursday, September 9, 2010

SCL U36B 1765

Here's a unit I finished over the summer - Seaboard Coast Line 1765.  With the help of online photos and the SCL yahoo group, I was able to figure out the prototypical horn and antenna placement. 

The firecracker antenna is a custom finishes FCA and the horn is a Leslie 5-chime (the exact part name escapes me) brass kit from Des Plaines Hobbies.  I positioned the chimes in the right directions as well.

The original unit was a U33C.  It was kitbashed into a U36B by shortening the unit and installing P&D blomberg trucks.  Also, one of the doors was opened on the side and the pilots were fixed with new handrails.  This work was done by an individual from Castle Hayne, NC.  He originally made this a SBD unit and all I did was fix the patch work he did on the windows by installing new windows, fixing the front headlight, adding the prototype details, and repainting into SCL Bumblebee scheme.

Weathering was done with an airbrush to match the photo I had of this unit in March 1971.

Don't forget - Click on each photo to see the Hi-Res version.










No comments:

Post a Comment