Monday, May 22, 2017

April Project Month - Part1: SCL RS3 1161

Over the month of April, I scrapped together as much time as I could to finish out several 3R O gauge projects for my dad. I had some of his stuff in my house for 2-3 years and hadn't had a chance to work on it.  I put everything aside to get these out of my basement.

This is the first of several posts.  He runs 3R O gauge trains, in SCL, SOU, NYC, and various other roads. I finished out several things...ironically they were all made by MTH.
1. SCL RS3
2. SCL Passenger Cars
3. SCL SD45 Modifications/Weathering
4. SCL FT units (no photos)
5. SOU F3 paint touch-ups (no photos)
6. SOU SD9 (Of course MTH announces one as I finished this one...no photos)
7. SCL RPO - Still in progress.

The model itself is an MTH Protosound2 RS3 and was painted UP.

This SCL RS3 is a pure repaint and weathering job, nothing more. There was no effort on this one to do any sort of super-detailing (minus the addition of number boards on the ends), etc. However, this one closely resembles the prototype, including the horns.

I used this to try a few things. One being the use of Testor's rattle cans to lay on the semi-gloss black paint.  I won't ever do it again.  The paint goes on too thick, so I will forevermore use only airbrushes on anything that touches the rails.  Buildings are another story. I also learned that the gloss spray paint wasn't worth it, and that I needed to gloss-cote anyways, so flat black is fine as a base coat. I also learned that Testors gloss lacquer can easily come off Testors gloss enamel.  They are not compatible.  Don't do it.

Weathering is by airbrush, drybrush, and pan pastels.  This is a very basic job...maybe 30 minutes worth, trying to match photos I had.

The interior is a photo my dad uses for these types of engines.  Also an MTH engineer figure was heavily mutilated to fit into the cab. It was so time-consuming, the fireman side only has the photo glued to the motor-shield.

I have been working on a temporary photobooth of sorts on my new workbench...however I really need to work on my lighting as you will see.  I have a diorama planned to replace this...but that will take time.

As a side note, good luck finding SCL locomotive decals.  I think I dried up the last pond.

Enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment